A museum of territory
The municipal museum of Die, created in 1905, contains one of the most important archaeological collections in Rhône-Alpes.
On the Drôme valley, the Diois region is the heir to the territory of Vocontii, a Gallic people conquered by Rome in the 2nd century B.C. The presence of the Roman rampart, built in the end of the 3d century, testifies to this occupation.
Die becomes the Episcopal see in the 4th century. The count-bishops, constantly in conflict with the counts of Valentinois, run the diocese. This territory covered more than a third of the current department.
In the 17th century, a large number of Diois inhabitants joins the Reformation and Die shelters a Protestant academy. The revocation of the Edict of Nantes will deprive Protestants of their freedom of worship, and in view of the acts of violence, many of them will flee to northern Europe.
The Diois lands, a mountainous terrain where the vine growing and farming are still practiced today, witnessed a flourishing industrial life during the 19th and 20th centuries.